Italian Easter Dove Cake Recipe
The Italian Easter cake, known as colomba, is a famous cake we Italians use to buy or make for Easter and the recipe can be really overwhelming because it takes time and effort. I came up with a much easier recipe to make a colomba without spending too much time in the kitchen.
Clearly the result is completely different and your cake will be much more similar to an Italian sponge rather than a proper dove but the taste is exactly the same.
Italian Easter Dove: ingredients for 1 (500g)
150 grams of sugar
300 grams of flour
100 grams of softened butter
zest of 1 lemon
1 glass of milk
1 teaspoon of baking powder
80 grams of mixed candied peels
50 grams of sliced almonds
1 small glass of liqueur to taste
For the icing
Italian Easter Dove: recipe
- Preheat the oven at its maximum power. Whisk butter and sugar then add the eggs, the zest of the lemon and half a cup of milk.
- Continue to beat with the blender until you have a cream and at the end add the candied peels, half of the almonds, liquor, flour and half a cup of remaining milk and baking powder.
- Continue to whisk until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the mold (better if the mold is in the shape of a dove), sprinkle with sliced almonds and wet the surface with a mixture of water and powdered sugar.
- Bake at 190°C/374°F for 45 minutes or until the surface will be golden. Allow to cool and serve.
Preparation time: 2 hours
Italian Easter Dove: video recipe
[Pics by Giuseppe]