Easy Italian Artichoke Pie Recipe
Baking an artichoke pie is one most famous activities in Italy during spring and Easter time: the pie is so delicious and tasty you can use the shop bought shortcrust pastry for an optimal result.
If you’re keen to experiment, you can also bake this pie with the pizza dough but I assure you, the version below is absolutely delicious and rewarding even if you’re not much into the artichokes.
Artichoke pie: ingredients for a 27cm tin
250 ml ricotta cheese
100 grams of bacon
500 grams of shop bought shortcrust pastry
2 egg yolks beaten
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Artichoke pie: recipe
- Clean the artichokes by removing the outer leaves, cut them in half and slice;
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and, when hot, blow up the artichokes with red pepper and salt;
- Unroll the shortcrust pastry and line the tin with half of it (if necessary, line the tin with baking paper to prevent the pastry from sticking), puncture the bottom with a fork and spread the ricotta on the surface;
- Also add the bacon and then spread the artichokes on the whole surface;
- Cover with the remaining pastry and brush the surface with the egg yolk.
- Bake for about 45 minutes at 190°. Allow to cool and serve.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Artichoke pie: tips and tricks
- You can add hard-boiled eggs over the artichokes before closing with the dough for an even more rustic and full cake.
- To avoid the artichokes remain bitter, just cut them in half and leave to soak in water and lemon juice for about 30 minutes.
- Instead of ricotta cheese you can also use cottage cheese or soft cream cheese.
[Pics by Giuseppe]