Italian apple pie, the recipe my grandma used to make
Baking with apples is like an obsession for us Italians and the apple pie is one of the main things we bake, all over the country.
A bit different from an apple cake, the apple pie is easiest and can be made using shop bought shortcrust pastry. It’s similar to a crostata which makes it a loved cake.
The big difference in making this pie is given by the apples which have to be juicy but firm so that, when cooked, they won’t completely melt. This apple pie is similar to a strudel but it’s baked like a pie.
Try to use golden apples because they’re less juicy and they fit perfectly with this batter and if you bake this cake around Christmas or in autumn you can add a little bit of ground cinnamon to give the cake a festive taste.
This is hard to say but in case your pie won’t be eaten in a few hours (I mean, seriously), you can store in a pie rack and eat in maximum 2 days. You can also cook and mash the apple so that your pie will look more like a crostata or tart and the apple will melt in your mouth.
Now, off we go with the recipe for a perfect Italian apple pie, like my grandma used to make.
Ingredients for a 18-20 round baking pan
- 250 grams plain flour
- 130 grams unsalted butter
- 90 grams powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 700 grams of apples
- Grated juice of one lemon
- Make the pastry by quickly whisking the flour with the powdered sugar. Add the egg and butter and blend jerky for a few seconds. Grate the lemon zest into the mixture and blend on clicks to get a sandy compound. Transfer the mixture in a cold bowl and quickly knead with your hands then form a loaf, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours to use.
- Peel the apples, cut them in cubes and sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge and divide it into two loaves. Use 3/4 of the pastry for the base of the pie and after having puncturing the bottom with a fork, distribute the apples with all the juice. Use the remaining pastry to add strips on top of on the tart.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C – 200°C (356°F) for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let the pie get cool and serve.
Preparation time: about 3 hours