How to carve a pumpkin for Halloween in 6 easy steps
How to carve a pumpkin for Halloween? Carving a pumpkin for Halloween is not difficult but requires a good mix of patience, good knives, newspaper and the interest in getting dirty and then in cleaning everything up.
Let’s start with the tradition: Jack O’Lantern represents Stingy Jack, a character of the Irish tradition who after having experienced a sloppy life mostly devoted to alcohol, and having also killed the devil, once he was dead, was not accepted neither in Paradise nor in Hell so he found himself wandering with a turnip in his hand, inside which he put a light that was donated to him by the Devil in order to find his way. Well, yes, you have read it well: originally the pumpkin did not exist at all but the turnips were used. They then became unrecognizable for a long time and replaced with yellow pumpkins.
Basically, the pumpkin to be carved to give birth to Jack O’Lantern is NOT edible and the interior flesh are absolutely useless in the kitchen. This is why the price compared to the classic pumpkins goes down
How to carve a pumpkin for Halloween step by step
- Get a pumpkin of the desired size then settle on a hard work floor. Make sure you have at your disposal newspapers, cotton wipes, long knives and fine blades, a large bowl and spoons in addition to a pair of light gloves, such as a surgeon;
- Remove the top hat of the pumpkin and make sure you can put your hand inside to remove the inside of the pumpkin: remove the top with a dry and sharp knife after drawing the template to be cut out with a black marker.
- Once the cap is removed and clean, put your hands inside the pumpkin and scrape the walls and the bottom using a knife then throw the entire inside into the bowl and dry the walls with a wipe so as to buffer the excess liquid.
- With a black marker draw Jack O’Lantern’s face on the pumpkin. With a small, sharp knife cut out the shapes from the outside.
- Dry the pumpkin outside and put it to rest for one night inside a plastic envelope so that the outside will remain cool and the interior will be slightly dry.
- After the night, take a candle and place it on the base (in case you do not regain the balance still lower the pumpkin’s bottom with a spoon!). Cover with the cap and wait for Halloween to turn it on!
More tips for your Halloween pumpkin
- If you want, you can also remove the bottom of the pumpkin and leave it open: in that case, you will have a kind of lamp open underneath.
- The Halloween pumpkin lasts for a small amount of time as it is because it slowly dries. My advice is to keep it in a dry but cool place and spread the outer surface with hair wax that keeps it moisturized enough.
- If you want to use one or more than one small pumpkins I suggest you put them in a freezer already emptied and carved and pull them out on the evening before Halloween or the morning itself so as to have them as cool as possible.