Puff pastry Christmas tree
Puff pastry Christmas tree: a delicious appetizer to bring to the table both for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but in reality during all Christmas holidays. It is in fact, a fanciful and simple recipe: you only have to have some puff pastry, roll it out and stuff it, and then assemble the various pieces in the shape of a Christmas tree.
To make the tree even tastier, I alternate puff pastry with the different filling so that the diners can taste more than just a flavor, making the experience at the, even more,n more fun as this Christmas tree of puff pastry is eaten only and exclusively with your hands.
The fillings are many and you can experiment to find the best. These are just some of the possible combinations:
- Ham and cheese
- Spinach and spicy salami
- Salmon and spreadable cheese
- Pancetta and scamorza cheese
- Tomato sauce and mozzarella
- Spreadable chocolate and dried fruit
- Dried fruit and jam
I recommend to use rectangular puff pastry to make a fairly large number of swivels and not to forget the egg on the surface as the egg makes the tree more crisp and appetizing; I also add sesame seeds for an even more special flavor but you can opt for other seeds or even leave the tree as it is.
This Christmas appetizer is prepared in 30 minutes and, although is not bad when cold, it would be preferable to eat it when still warm to better taste the flavors and taste them thoroughly. If leftover, just heat it quickly in the oven or consume it cold within and no later than 24 hours from preparation. If the dough was frozen, it can not be frozen; on the contrary, if the dough is fresh, it can be prepared, frozen and defrosted in the refrigerator when needed before baking and cooking.
Ingredients for a medium Christmas tree
- 2 ready rolled sheets of puff pastry
- 100 grams of ham
- 60g of semi-mature cheese
- 100 grams of spicy salami
- 100 grams of raw spinach
- Unroll one of the two sheets of puff pastry.
- Stuff with ham and semi-seasoned cheese cut into cubes. Roll up on itself and cut into slices.
- Roll out the second sheet of puff pastry.
- Stuff with spicy salami and spinach. Roll up on itself and cut into slices.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the different slices alternating tastes and in order to form a Christmas tree.
- Beat an egg and brush it onto the surface of the tree, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180°C/356°F, churn and serve.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Puff Pastry Christmas tree: video recipe for a Christmas appetizer
[Foto di Giuseppe Milo]