Chocolate mud cake in a mug
Chocolate mud cake in a mug is a great invention originating in America, created to satisfy a longing for cake in those who don’t have time and who are used to using the microwave for cooking. Basically, it’s a larger version of a cupcake which can be prepared in 7-8 minutes. Very similar to an oven-baked chocolate cake, it’s more substantial and richer.
The 5 minute cooking time is exactly the same if you use the microwave or oven with only one variation: you need to take care that the cups are suitable for oven baking otherwise they will shatter.
The only precaution necessary when preparing this cake in a cup is to correctly measure the ingredients otherwise the proportions won’t be right and the final result isn’t guaranteed and the cakes won’t cook properly. Of course, every microwave is different, so it’s best to try out the recipe and see what happens and then adjust the quantity of the ingredients accordingly.
This individual cake is ideal for when you want to serve something tasty without the effort. You can also add flavorings or even chocolate chips BUT if you change the ingredients the end result may be different because obviously removing, increasing or adding anything (for example the egg) will change the recipe and the end result.
Tip: never open the microwave or the oven even if the mixture seems to be coming out of the cup as once it’s cooked it will sink down and if it spills out it’s not a big problem, it just means there was too much mixture for the size of the cup.
Ingredients for a mug or 2 espresso cups
- 4 tbsps flour
- 4 tbsps sugar
- 4 tbsps cocoa powder
- 3 tbsps milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of dried yeast
- Pour the dry ingredients into a cup and mix well using a tablespoon.
- Add the milk and oil mixing with a fork until all the lumps have completely disappeared.
- Add the egg which has already been lightly beaten.
- Cook in the microwave for 4 minutes at 700w or in the oven for 8 minutes at 200°C/400°F.
- Serve hot or cold directly from the cup or on a plate adding powdered sugar if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
A few more ideas for your cake in a mug:
- Add crushed biscuits (Oreo, Digestive, or anything else) to your mix for a crunchy mud cake;
- Substitute dark chocolate with one and add dried fruit into the mixture (eg cranberries, blackberries, etc);
- Assemble your ingredients into the mug, then add a spoon of peanut butter in the center for a wow effect;
- Drizzle salted caramel on top of your cake before serving it.
- Substitute the eggs with cold water if you want to make an egg-free cake in a mug.