Candied orange peel dipped in chocolate
The candied orange peels are classic Sicilian pastries that can be made at home with a really simple and (fairly) quick recipe. You can prepare and use them as soon as they’re ready or even soak in chocolate for a more unique and unique taste.
These candied orange peels dipped in chocolate are especially suitable for the Christmas season for two reasons: first of all, because the flavors are “wintery” and then because they are perfect, once packaged, as a Christmas gift to make friends, family and colleagues happy.
Before giving you the recipe,
here are some tips on how to make and store these chocolate candied orange peels:
- Choose organic oranges because the peel is the part you will use to prepare this sweet and it is good to be more “pure” possible;
- Choose dark chocolate to a minimum of 70% to make the orange stand out;
- Choose caster sugar to not cover the orange flavor;
- Choose cane sugar to give your oranges a peculiar flavor;
- Keep the candied oranges in a refrigerator and use within 3 months;
- You can freeze your candied peels before dipping them into chocolate: you will have to thaw them in the fridge and soak them in chocolate at a later time.
To make these chocolate orange peels you do not need special skills, only passion and some time; the result is a really simple sweet treat which will leave you with a smile.
Ingredients for about 50 candied orange peels dipped in chocolate
- 200 grams / 7 ounces of orange peels
- 200 grams / 7 ounces of caster sugar
- Water as needed
- 1 dark chocolate bar (100 grams / 3.5 ounces)
- Peel the oranges while being careful not to break the peel;
- Cut the peel to strips by doubling them so they are all pretty similar;
- Skim the skins in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, repeating this operation for 4 times, changing the water every time;
- Drain the peels and in a large frying pan pour the sugar and water to the need (at least 200ml). Add the orange peels and let them cook for 30 minutes;
- Remove the peels from the pan and let them cool. Place the syrup in a bowl;
- Once cooled, melt the chocolate in a bain-marie;
- Dip each peel halfway into the melted chocolate and place on a parchment-lined baking tray until set.
Preparation time: 3 hours
How to make the candied orange peels: video tutorial step by step
[Pics by Giuseppe]